Skip to main content

Children with disabilities

Support for children with disabilities

If you feel that you need support we will need to complete an assessment. A duty social worker will visit you and your family/parents in your home to complete this assessment. They need to meet with you to find out how they can help.

The team provides a range of services including:

  • Family support work - Assessments completed jointly by health and social services teams and ongoing support provided to families where necessary.
  • Welfare benefits advice - Information and advice in applying for a range of disability benefits
  • Transition support - Help for young people with the transition to adulthood.
  • Occupational therapy - Assessments, aids and equipment to help children live more independently and advice on alterations required in the home.
  • Behavioural support - Therapeutic support in the home for families experiencing difficulties managing their child's behaviour.
  • Short term breaks - Care for a disabled child at home or in a different setting to give parents a break.
  • Funded play provision/ activities for children/ young people - Information and advice to help you access local and specialist play services.
  • Direct Payments - Money given to parents/ carers or disabled young people aged 16+ to purchase the services they want themselves.

Last Updated 29/06/2020

Share your feedback on this page

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.