Skip to main content

Children and young people with disabilities: guidance and support

Support for children and young people with disabilities

If you feel that you need support we will need to complete an assessment. A duty social worker will visit you and your family/parents in your home to complete this assessment. They need to meet with you to find out how they can help.

The team provides a range of services including:

  • Family support work - Assessments completed jointly by health and social services teams and ongoing support provided to families where necessary.

  • Welfare benefits advice - Information and advice in applying for a range of disability benefits

  • Transition support - Help for young people with the transition to adulthood.

  • Occupational therapy - Assessments, aids and equipment to help children live more independently and advice on alterations required in the home.

  • Behavioural support - Therapeutic support in the home for families experiencing difficulties managing their child's behaviour.

  • Short term breaks - Care for a disabled child at home or in a different setting to give parents a break.

  • Funded play provision/ activities for children/ young people - Information and advice to help you access local and specialist play services.

  • Direct Payments - Money given to parents/ carers or disabled young people aged 16+ to purchase the services they want themselves.

Further information and guidance on transition to adulthood can be found on the 'Moving on, moving forwards' guide for parents and carers and for young people with SEND.

If you have concerns about your child or young person, or to request an assessment or referral, you could contact the Westminster Early Help Service team or your nearest Family Hub

Last Updated 08/08/2023

Share your feedback on this page

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.