Skip to main content

After school clubs

After school clubs

These can provide care and play activities or additional supported study for your child after school has finished. Contact your child's school to see if they offer this provision.


Who runs them?

It depends on how they are set up, they could be run directly by the school, a private company or a voluntary organisation.

Where does the childcare take place?

It can be in any type of venue including a school hall, classroom, local church hall, scout hut or leisure centre. Some clubs will also pick up from other schools, or they may have an agreement to walk the children over from the school to the after school club.

What hours do they open?

Usually they open from the end of the school day and finish around 5.30pm to 6pm. If the times don't meet your needs it may be worth talking to the manager to see if they can offer alternate hours.

How old are the children they look after?

It will depend on their registration but most will take children from the age of 4 to 12 years but this is different for each club.

What is the average fee?

The average fee is usually between £8 to £15.50 per session depending on the length of time the club is open and the food they offer. Some clubs will offer concessions for siblings.

If the club is registered with Ofsted you may be able to get help towards your childcare costs through the childcare element of Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit or by using Childcare vouchers or Tax-Free Childcare.

What is the ratio of staff to children?

This will depend on the age of the children. Three to eight year olds should have a 1 to 8 ratio. It is up to the provider to decide the ratio for school age children, though it is recommended to maintain ratios of 1 to 8 for children between the ages 5 to 8 and 1 to 10 for children aged 9 years or older. Two members of staff must be present at all times.

After School clubs should check their ratios with their insurance companies and be able to justify them.

Will they have any checks?

Staff must have an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check to make sure they are suitable to work with children and young people.

Do they have any training?

Staff should hold certificates in first aid, food hygiene and safeguarding/child protection. It is up to the provider to determine the qualifications staff members have and good practice would be a manager with a level 3 qualification. If a setting has children who have not started school then they need to have a level 3 manager with 50% of staff level 2 or above.

If a childcare provider is on the Ofsted Voluntary Childcare Register then the requirement is one person with a minimum of level 2 in an area of work relevant to childcare or training in the common core of skills and knowledge. If they are required to be on the Ofsted compulsory register then they need to ensure they have received sufficient training to complete the role.

How can I apply for a place?

You could apply for a place by contacting the after school club directly. Your child's school may be able to assist with this.

In addition, you can find a list of providers on the following link: Breakfast and after school clubs | Westminster.

Last Updated 13/05/2022

Share your feedback on this page

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.