Skip to main content

Social Services and Family Support

Social Services and family support

What we do and who we can help

Many people are worried that contacting children's social services will mean that children are taken into care. In fact, unless a child is in danger, we will work hard with parents to help and support them so that the family can stay together.

Of course where there is a serious issue of abuse or neglect we will protect children together with the police and other agencies.

What we offer

  • information, advice, practical support and counselling to families across a range of problems including children with disabilities
  • support to young people aged 16 to 19 who can't live at home or who are leaving care, helping them to live independently
  • support to families seeking asylum
  • protection for children at risk of abuse or neglect
  • provide fostering, adoption and residential care homes for children who cannot live at home
  • work with young people in trouble with the law to improve their chances in life and prevent re-offending

How to get support

You can refer yourself or a child to us by emailing or ask a professional you are working with to help. We will need to talk to you and your family to find out what your needs are and what we can offer you and agree a way forward.

You may be referred for some early intervention support from the community or a voluntary agency, or might be offered support through the family hubs or via our locality service. If your needs are more complex you may be referred for an assessment by a social worker and they will discuss with you how we can help further.

Last Updated 04/11/2023

Share your feedback on this page

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.