Skip to main content

Dental Care

Children and young people with physical disabilities may have problems accessing the dentist. Similarly many children and young people with special educational needs or disabilities may need extra support and they may become overanxious at the thought of going to the dentist or may need extra reassurance.

Many parents choose to take their child to a Specialist in Paediatric Dentistry working in the Community Dental Service (CDS) and this is especially the case where the child has significant learning disability or other medical conditions. You can find your nearest CDS by asking at your local dental practice. You can discuss this with your specialist nurse at the `Child Development Service to assist with referrals if you do not have a dentist and need a more specialist service.  

Community Dental Service

Find a dentist

Oral Health Foundation Advice

Last Updated 24/08/2023

Share your feedback on this page

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.