Skip to main content

Are you a private foster carer?

If you have been looking after a young person under 16 who isn’t a close relative for 28 days or more you could be in a private fostering arrangement. If you think you are in a private fostering arrangement you must tell us. By telling us you are looking after someone else’s child we can then provide support and advice to you, the child or young person and their parents.

Examples of private fostering situations include:

  • children and teenagers living apart from their families for a variety of reasons, eg a parent is ill, has had to temporarily move for work, or there has been an argument within the family
  • children with parents working or studying elsewhere in the UK or overseas
  • children living with host families while studying in the UK

Support services available for families include;

  • advice on claiming benefits and possible funding for essential items
  • help with bringing families in crisis back together, where a child or young person is in an arrangement following relationship breakdown
  • advice and support for the child or young person
  • support with finding school places and registering with a GP or medical practice
  • parenting support and advice

Find out more

To notify the Local Authority of a Private Fostering arrangement or to find out more, contact Westminster’s Access to Children Service Team on 020 7641 4000.

Last Updated 26/08/2020

Share your feedback on this page

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.