Skip to main content

Diagnosis Q&As

On this page, you can find answers to your questions regarding assessment and diagnosis for special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND).

All the questions have been submitted by local parents and answered by Local Authority staff. Click on a question to read the response.  

Why is my child behaving differently to others? Does that mean I’m a bad parent?

Children develop at different paces and all children are unique. Just because your child is behaving differently to others, it does not mean they have something wrong with them or that you have done something wrong as a parent. There can be lots of reasons for a child’s behaviour and most of them are completely normal.

If you are concerned about your child’s development, you should raise it with your child’s nursery/school, GP or health visitor who can advise on the best way to proceed.

What should I do if I think my child has a problem with development?

All children develop differently and many times what look like signs of developmental problems in the early years turn out to be completely normal.

If you are concerned about your child’s development, you should speak to someone at your child’s nursery or school, contact your GP or speak to a health visitor. By consulting with other professionals, they will be able to develop a full picture of your child’s development and decide if any specialist support is required. 

If more support for your child is required, you may receive referrals to specialist services – for example Speech and Language Therapy; the Child Development Service; or Occupational Therapy.

Last Updated 09/04/2019

Share your feedback on this page

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.