Skip to main content

Grandparents as childminders

Grandparents sometimes decide to care for non-related children as well as their own grandchildren. For grandparents, this decision can mean an extra source of income and professional development. For parents, this can provide extra comfort in the knowledge that their child’s carer will get continued support and training about childcare.

As an added benefit, parents may be able to get financial help to pay relatives who are a registered childminder. Both employer-supported childcare (such as childcare vouchers) and the childcare element of Working Tax Credit can be used to pay grandparents who are:

• registered with Ofsted
• providing care for non-related children in addition to their grandchildren
• not providing care in the child’s home

More information about becoming a registered childminder can be found on The Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years (PACEY) website. Alternatively, contact the Family Information Service on  07971 625922 or

Last Updated 02/03/2022

Share your feedback on this page

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.