Free school meals (FSM)
Free school meals is a government initiative which provides children with a nutritious meal during term time.
All children in reception, year 1 and year 2 receive free school meals, this is known as universal Infant free school meals.
For children in year 3 or above, you can apply for free school meals if your child is in full time education and you receive any of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400 as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
If you receive Working Tax Credit you will not be entitled to free school meals unless you have stopped work in the last 4 weeks.
Children who receive Income Support or Income Based JobSeeker's Allowance in their own right are also entitled to receive free school meals.
To apply for free school meals:
- your child needs to attend a school in Westminster
- you need to be the parent or guardian of the child or children
- you need to have a National Insurance number or a National Asylum Support Service number
- you need to be in receipt of benefits (link to the benefits page)
- if your child is in reception and year 1 or 2 and already receives benefits and you meet the above criteria please apply so that your child’s school receives additional funding
- you need to create a MyWestminster account to be able to apply. This account can be created when you apply
The start of the new academic year is our busiest time but please be assured that we will process your application as quickly as possible.
If you have any questions about the MyWestminster account or if you are experiencing difficulty with a new application please call 0207 641 3412 or email: email@example.com
For further information or to apply please see the free school meals guide.
Last Updated 04/11/2022