Skip to main content

Support for Parents of Children with SEND

Parent Zone

Parents from our parent groups across the Bi-borough have proposed a range of questions across education, health and social care that they would like to have answered. In our new Parent Zone, we publish these questions alongside answers from staff at the Local Authority and our partners. 

Click here to visit the Local Offer Parent Zone


Parent Carer Support Group (Make it Happen)

Westminster Parent Participation Group logoParent Carer Support Groups are a helpful source of information and guidance as well as support for families of disabled children.

Parent support groups keep parents and carers informed through coffee mornings, events, websites, training and workshops. They give free practical independent advice to parents and young people.

The local Parent Carer Support Group for Westminster is Make it Happen (formerly WPPG).

Photo of a WPPG Parent drop-inMake it Happen are a group of parent volunteers working together to help improve services for children and young people with SEND in Westminster.  They come together to put forward concerns about the services being provided and are actively consulted by various local service providers.

The group hold weekly drop-in sessions for parents/carers offering a relaxed environment to share experiences, offer advice, and find out about the support available in the local area.

Drop-ins run at Bessborough Family Hub on Tuesdays, and Tresham Centre for Disabled Children & Young People on Thursdays, both from 10am – 12pm (term time only).

Other support offered by Make it Happen includes:

  • Signposting and referral to services
  • Access to the MAX Card scheme, a discount card on days out for families of children with SEND.

Make it Happen also appoint Local Offer Parent Champions who work with the local authority to:

  • train parents on using the Local Offer website and assist with any problems navigating the site.
  • collect parent feedback on the Local Offer website allowing improvements to be made.
  • ensure parent carer representation in plans to develop the website.

To contact a Local Offer Parent Champion or to volunteer to become one yourself, please contact the group.

For more information on the range of support provided by Make it Happen, you can visit their website or email them on or

Make it happen is currently recruiting volunteers. Volunteer to build your career, support disabled children and their families and be part of an amazing group and a fast growing organisation. Email or click here for more information.

Westminster Parent Participation Group logo

Information, Advice and Support Service

The Information, Advice and Support Service (IASS) is a free confidential service available to parents, children and young people who live in Westminster.

They can help by providing access to impartial advice and support on matters including:

  • Advice on laws and guidance related to special educational needs
  • Sen support (support at school with or without EHC plans)
  • Education Health Care (EHC) Needs Assessment
  • EHC plans and Annual Reviews
  • Phase transfer – moving from nursery to primary, primary to secondary, secondary to post 16 or FE colleges)
  • SEN Exclusions
  • Health and social care matters related to special needs
  • Disagreement resolutions (Complaints, Mediation and Appeals)

Any information and advice provided is independent of the Local Authority.

The IASS can also support with individual casework, support in preparing for meetings, resolving disagreements, and signposting to local or national support services.

For a brief introduction of the kind of support the IASS can provide watch the following video from the Council for Disabled Children:

You can find out more about the IASS for Westminster and find out how to get in touch by clicking here.

IAS service operates a telephone helpline service Tuesdays and Wednesdays 10-4pm. Call us on 020 7641 5355

By telephone appointment only on Monday, Thursday and Friday by using the IAS website booking system to book an appointment.

Citizen's Advice Bureau

Logo for Westminster Citizen's AdviceWestminster Citizen's Advice provides free, confidential and impartial information and advice to all residents of the City of Westminster. They can help you with a wide-range of problems, including legal and money matters. 

You can call Westminster Citizen's Advice on 0300 330 1191 (open weekdays 10am - 4pm). Or come along to one of the regular drop-ins for your chance to speak to an advisor in person. 

Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB) can help you with your application for benefits, and to understand your legal rights and responsibilities. Watch the video below to see more about the way CAB can help families like you:



Logo for QwellQwell offers free, safe and anonymous mental health and wellbeing support support through an online mental health community provided by qualified practitioners.   There are no waiting lists and you can access this service from any internet connected device - no downloads necessary; qualified practitioners are available weekdays from 12 noon to 10pm and from 6pm to 10pm on weekend.

Create a free account, talk to a qualified professional online, connect with other young adults, or discover self-help tips and tricks.

Create a free account, talk to a qualified professional online, connect with other young adults, or discover self-help tips and tricks.

Qwell Chat and Messaging functions can get you in touch with a qualified practitioner who can talk through anything that’s bothering you and offer support and advice. 

Qwell also includes discussion boards where you can start or join a conversation with other members on all sorts of things, from anxiety to relationship advice or tips for relaxing after a stressful day. The Goals tab allows you to set your own personal goals and track progress.

Visit or click here for more information.

These services are provided by Kooth and supported by the NHS for anyone who resides in North West London.

placeholder image

Disagreements, Mediation and Tribunals

All local authorities are legally required to have an independent service to help in situations where parents/carers, young people, schools, health care services and the local authority cannot agree on how to meet a child/young person’s needs. This service is called a mediation and dispute resolution service.

‘KIDS’ is an organisation contracted through the Local Authority to deliver mediation advice and support. You can speak to a mediation advisor by calling 0207 359 3635.

For more information on the mediation and disagreement process, please click here.

Last Updated 16/11/2023

Share your feedback on this page

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.