The Children and Families Act 2014 requires Local Authorities to appoint a Virtual School Head whose purpose is to ensure the Local Authority fulfils its statutory duty to promote the education of Looked After Children.
The Virtual School Head is a shared services post and manages the Virtual School in the three authorities (Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, and City of Westminster).
The role of the Virtual School is to:
- Monitor and promote the educational progress and achievement of Looked After Children and care leavers
- Ensure that Personal Education Plans are current, relevant and effective
- Promote and monitor the use of the Pupil Premium Grant
- Support Schools and Designated Teachers to develop effective strategies and support for Looked After Children
- Provide advice and guidance for social workers and carers on issues relating to the education of Looked After Children
- Commission and fund additional resources for Looked After Children to support education
- Develop and implement programmes and activities to support the education and learning of Looked After Children
- Provide information, advice and guidance to Looked After Children and care leavers about education, employment and training