13 – 16 Years old? – You could make the Science Museum a better place
Ever been to a museum or gallery and thought – “this is really boring!”? Why can’t they make this more fun, or at least more interesting?
Think you could do better? Or at least tell the designers how they could improve things?
Well here’s your chance…
Following the success of our collaboration with the Science Museum in January – We are doing it all over again – This time FACE to Face in the museum.
All the young people who got involved loved the programme!
“Fun, Interactive and really nice people who really listened to what I had to say”” “It’s quite a time commitment, but totally worth it”.
The Science Museum need young experts (13-16 years old) to help make their new exhibition brilliant and exciting!
They need help to create exciting events and activities that young people would actually like to take part in.
We’re ready to listen, are you ready to share your ideas?
Want to know more? Read our FAQs here.
Sign up to take part by the 24th May 2021 here.
What is the Technicians Youth Collaboration?
Right now, the museum is building a gallery all about technicians, for visitors aged 11-16. In the gallery we want to show you and other young people how technicians help us to live our best lives, and how you could be a technician too!
We have got some good ideas for the gallery, found some interesting technicians for you to meet; but we need to do more to make it a great place for you and other young people to hang out and learn. We would like your input and help do this!
We are looking for 15 people to team up with and help make sure the gallery staff, volunteers and the gallery activities are useful, exciting and fun for you and other young people.
• Over 7 weeks you will work with Science Museum staff to find the best ways to talk, create and deliver activities that explain what it’s like to be a technician.
• At the end of the project you will create a learning activity to help museum staff develop great activities for young people.
• The sessions will be led by Science Museum staff and supported by Westminster City Lions youth workers.
• 7 Saturdays, 10:00am – 2.30pm
• From 5th June 2021 to 17th July 2021
• Science Museum, Exhibition Road, SW7 2DD / 020 7942 4000 (Nearest tube South Kensington).
• We can help with travelling cost to and from the museum.
• Some sessions maybe moved online because of Covid-19 health & safety guidelines.
• If we’re not meeting in the museum, we will drop you an email to let you know.
What will happen each Saturday?
• Week 1 – June 5th – Intro to the collaboration project and chance to meet all other people.
• Week 2 – June 12th – Make your own activity as well try out some of our museum favourites.
• Week 3 – June 19th – Communication training – top tips for presenting yourself and your ideas.
• Week 4 – June 26th – Start working on your learning activity.
• Week 5 – July 3rd - Finish making your learning activity.
• Week 6 – July 10th – Deliver your learning activity to Science Museum staff.
• Week 7 – July 17th – Review and feedback on our latest science museum activities.
Do I need to attend all of the sessions?
• We would like you try your best to attend every session.
• Each week we will be working towards our final goal of making learning activities to help our staff.
• We know things may happen, so if you are unable to come please send us a message or give us a call to let us know. (Lillian Babirye, Collaboration Leader, as soon as possible on 07341 680 262).
What do I need to prepare?
• You will need to follow our covid guidelines including wearing a face covering in the museum.
• We will provide you with facemasks and hand sanitiser, it’s okay to wear your own face covering too!
• We will provide snacks, drinks, notebook and pens but feel free to bring your own.
• For some sessions you will need to prepare something, don’t worry, we will tell you in advance
What if I don’t like it, or I feel ill and no longer want to participate?
• Please speak to the Science Museum staff and let us know how you are feeling.
• If you’re thinking of pulling out of the collaboration, we’d love to know if there is anything, we could do to help you enjoy it more.
• If you need to stop attending or won’t be returning for any reason, please let us know before you leave.
I don’t know anyone else who is going and I’m a bit nervous
• We will spend time in our first session helping everyone get to know each other.
• Many participants attend on their own, and meeting new people is one of the aspects that they say they enjoy most of all.
• Of course, if you would like to bring a friend, encourage them to sign up too, and you can enjoy the collaboration together