Skip to main content

Educational Psychology Consultation Service

What do educational and child psychologists do?

Educational and child psychologists (also known as EPs or Ed Psychs) are skilled in Consultation, Assessment, Intervention, Training and Research.  We have expertise in education, learning and child development and apply psychology to improve the learning and wellbeing/mental health of children and young people (CYP) up to the age of 25 years. EPs are also trained in specific evidence-based interventions such as Video Interaction Guidance, Cognitive Behavioural and Solution Focused Approaches.

EPs work at the individual, group and organisational level to help to increase the capacity of schools to meet all CYP needs, including those with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and those who are vulnerable in other ways, experiencing barriers to their learning and development. We use a Consultation model and a Plan, Do, Review, Reflect cycle in schools; working collaboratively with staff, parents and CYP to help to devise effective interventions and achieve positive change. Our service also works closely with the Bi-Borough Special Educational Needs Service.


A sample of the type of work EPs might be involved with:

Consultation: working collaboratively with staff in schools to explore concerns; making sense of situations and contexts in which CYP learn and develop, and helping to find solutions. Consultation is a process which combines exploration, assessment, intervention and review and works at the individual, group and organisational level.

Psychological assessments: either as part of Education, Health and Care Plans or as part of the Consultation process.

Interventions:  For example, Video Interaction Guidance/Video Enhanced Reflective Practice (a strength based intervention using video clips to reflect on and enhance successful interactions) and Cognitive Behaviour Approaches (practical problem solving approaches to develop more helpful patterns of thinking and behaviour).

Training: For example, Understanding the needs of CYP with SEND, Play and Sleep, Wellbeing and Resilience, Critical Incidents, Bereavement and Loss, Emotional Literacy Support Assistants.

Research: For example, monitoring the progress of CYP with autism; Mindfulness in schools, Peer relations of pupils with and without SEN in mainstream schools.

Critical Incident Support: EPs offer guidance and support to schools following bereavement, trauma or frightening events.

Please also see link to our EPCS Newsletters via links to the right.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Jeremy Monsen
Contact Position
Bi-borough Principal EP
 020 7361 3311

Individual contact details

Kensington and Chelsea:       Helen Kerslake           -

Westminster:                           Sam Habal                 -

Where to go

Educational Psychology Consultation Service
Kensington and Chelsea Westminster
Green Zone, Second Floor
Kensington Town Hall
Hornton Street
W8 7NX

Other Details


Age Ranges
0-25 years old

Local Offer

Local Offer Record `
Who is this service available to?

We work in state maintained settings (including free schools and academies) with educators and parents/carers to support children and young people (from birth to twenty-five) with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and/or other barriers to their development, including wellbeing and mental health.

How do you access this service?


EPs provide psychological advice for children and young people to contribute to Education, Health and Care Needs Assessments that have been agreed by the Local Authority. This is provided by the Local Authority as part of a Core Statutory offer.

Every RBKC/Westminster state funded school and nursery has a link EP who provides EP liaison visits to offer SEND strategic support, and input following critical/traumatic incidents. This is provided by the Local Authority as part of a Core Plus offer.

The majority of RBKC/Westminster state funded schools also buy in additional EP time (Traded Offer) for EP consultations in relation to concerns over individuals, groups or whole school issues. During Traded Time, the EP carries out work that has been prioritised by the school.

Independent settings and schools can also buy EP time from our service.



An EP will become involved if an Education, Health and Care Needs assessment has been agreed by the Local Authority. Parents/carers will have provided consent to the LA for EP involvement.

Schools seek parental consent before involving the EP over individuals, during the additional EP time the school has bought in. EP involvement is usually prioritised by the school when targeted support has been in place for some time, and the school would like to use their EP time to work out what else would help to make a positive difference.

If parents/carers have concerns, they can contact the school SENCO / Inclusion Manager to discuss what support is in place for their child at the school.

How do we ensure the quality of this service?

We provide regular professional practice supervision in keeping with HCPC guidance.

We undertake an annual audit of client feedback.

What to do if you have a complaint?

Contact Jeremy Monsen - Bi-borough Principal EP - at

Can parents and young people buy this service as part of their SEND personal budget?


Local Offer Age Bands
Secondary (11-16 years)
Transitions to Adulthood (16+)
Early Years (0-4 years)
Primary (4-10 years)
Needs Level
SEN Provision Type
Last Updated 30/10/2019

Share your feedback on this page

Please provide feedback on our website. Try to include any constructive suggestions for improvements and we will do our best to incorporate them.