Wandsworth Vision Support Service provides flexible, comprehensive support to children and young people (CYP) with visual impairment with and without additional needs in the boroughs of Wandsworth and Kensington and Chelsea (RBKC).
• We work with CYP in mainstream and special schools and also with pre-school children in their homes.
• We teach CYP to develop specialist skills, including Braille, independent life skills and relevant IT skills.
• In the school setting, we advise regarding modified enlarged materials, individual IT needs and specialist equipment.
• For home visits, we devise individual programmes, which are demonstrated to the parent/ carer.
• We provide advice on student and parent/carer counselling as well as emotional wellbeing
• Our habilitation (mobility) specialists teach and carry out environmental audits.
• We provide weekly playgroup sessions for pre-schoolers, which also enable parents and carers to meet each other. We welcome children with sensory impairments into our playgroup
• We offer family events, including our annual Family Fun Day, Family Activities Days and Swim Days
• Throughout the year, we offer a variety of training to parents and carers, professionals and groups of CYP.